USD 429 Troy Releases Re-Opening Plan
August 11, 2020
Dear USD 429 Students, Parents/Guardians, and Patrons:
I hope you are all well. It has always been my hope, and I am sure yours, to open our schools as normal as possible for the 2020-2021 school year. You are all aware of the current Covid-19 situation in our state and nation which makes it very difficult to carry on as we have done in any normal school year.
At last night’s USD 429 board of education meeting, the USD 429 board members had a lengthy discussion about certain protocols to put in place for the 2020-2021 school year. Our board members all have children or grand children in our school system and did not discuss or take the re-opening of our schools lightly. They had a great discussion about balancing mandates and recommendations with practicality, and more importantly the safety of all the individuals in the buildings.
Troy Schools will open as planned on August 27th with certain safety protocols and practices in place.
- Masks are recommended for PreK-12 students.
- Masks will be required to be worn entering the buildings in the morning, in high traffic areas, passing periods, and hallways and at the discretion of individual staff or the administration.
- Students and Staff will be temp checked every morning prior to entering the buildings. Bus riders will be temp checked prior to getting on the bus.
- We will continue to social distance when able to do so and will continue to educate students on proper handwashing and hygiene.
- Visitors to the buildings will be limited if allowed at all, following established protocols.
- These protocols and practices are subject to change as needed and will be re-visited weekly.
The entire plan(s) will be posted on the website, but we wanted to give you a ‘Quick Start-Up Guide’, so you know what to expect and you can make decisions and necessary arrangements based on these guidelines. We are continuing to plan for every scenario and making sure we have all the required PPE recommended sanitation supplies and procedures in place. Students are allowed to bring and use their own mask for times when required. The district will be issuing two cloths masks for each student to have and for parents to care for. Disposable masks will be available if needed.
Currently, USD 429 is not hosting a Remote Learning or Hybrid opportunity for your children. If USD 429 must go to a hybrid model or if the buildings are shut down completely, those plans will be delivered at that time. Please be diligent about planning in your personal and professional life for all scenarios.
Sports practices are slated to begin on August 17th. This could change also. Your student/athlete will have team specific meetings and written guidelines for participation shared with them, just like in previous years. The Twin Valley League will have a mask mandate for inside events and strongly recommend masks for outside events. More details on this before the first contests.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate through these challenging times for us, you, and your children. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to call me at 785-985-3950.
Patrick E. McKernan
Superintendent of Schools
August 11, 2020